These two were some of my first big models and were part of a limited-time “formation” that Games Workshop put out to hype people up for Apocalypse. Two Wraithlords, five Wraithguard and a Warlock or two. I thought they were some of the coolest looking models at the time, and if I remember right had replaced the old Wraithlord not too long before that. It was a little intimidating, but I gave it an honest go. Old picture, but you can see what they looked like here:
I started getting a little comfortable with edge highlighting, and even cranked the freehand up a little bit. Eventually, when it was the Wraithlords’ turn to get the repaint treatment, I decided white “helmets” complimented turquoise a lot better, as they did on the Guardians. I even took another shot at some more subtle freehand. The Wraithlord on the left was still mostly unchanged from the very first paint job, while the second one was more or less done (at the time). Also note the Wraithswords were swapped (well, broken off) out since if I remember right, they just weren’t worth the points some time between 4th edition and 6th. Got those magnetized just in case.
Something was still missing though. And after I had redone the entire army, I went back and changed up a few things. I just wasn’t feeling the red gems. Maybe I could’ve been more subtle with them, but it was just too stark a contrast. So I eventually went back to purple. Touched up a few details, like the bronze bits, and then came out with the finished product:
As a side note, I’ve never been a fan of the process of building models to be honest, but one of the enjoyable things about the Wraithlord kit was how you could inject a little more personality into their poses. I wanted one (front) to have a stronger, knightly dueling stance, while the other had a looser, more “informal” kind of stance. Can’t really see that at that angle, but it’s leaning toward its imaginary opponent almost disrespectfully.
Anyway, it took awhile for me to settle on a shade of bronze that I really liked, but I finally found it with Sycorax Bronze. It has a colder look to it than Hashut Copper, which I used initially. Here’s how I got the result in the picture above:
- Basecoat of Warplock Bronze
- Two thinned down layers of Sycorax Bronze
- Heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade
- Heavy wash of Reikland Fleshshade
- Layer of Sycorax Bronze on areas you’d expect light to catch
- Chainmail as an edge highlight
Whenever I find myself bored, I might go back and repaint the Brightlances to match the Wraithbone color I started to use elsewhere. Until then, I think these guys look alright. I haven’t delved too much into the 8th edition codex yet, but in years past, they’ve been really eclipsed by the Wraithknight. Hopefully they start to see at least moderate use again soon.