I always meant to get a Weirdboy for my Ork army, and with my overhaul it was a good a time as any to pick one up. Unfortunately, this was also around the time 8th edition launched, and with the Indexes they became a top tier pick… and therefore were almost perpetually out of stock.
Eventually I did get one, and it was one of the few Ork infantry models I did that was neither a repaint or that I hadn’t painted before. Breath of fresh air after everything I’d slogged through up until this point. And incidentally, it’s the first model I’m featuring on this blog that isn’t a repaint either.
Some people aren’t too fond of mono-pose models, but when they’re full of character like this one is, they make great centerpieces for your army. By the way, the staff was almost as interesting as painting the Weirdboy itself. It was one of the few places I was able to sneak in my teal accents. I also copied the checker pattern Games Workshop used on the Weirdboy on their site, in part because I know when I get around to painting my box of Harlequins, the technique will be useful. Might as well get those reps in.
For my own reference as well as whoever might stumble on to this blog, I’m trying to remember how I did his raggedy cloak… I think it was:
- Base of Rakarth Flesh
- Full wash of Agrax Earthshade
- Layer of Rakarth Flesh leaving deeper areas dark.
- Highlight of 1:1 Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh*
- Edge highlight of Pallid Wych Flesh*
At some point, I might take a good look at the model and try and figure it out, but until then, gonna keep those asterisks there for the colors I’m not 100% about.
And finally a group shot of the biggest and baddest Orks in my mob. In retrospect, it wasn’t until I finally decided on a new color scheme for the bases that complimented the repaint that the pieces all fell into place for me. That’s something that’s probably worth a short blog post at a later date.