Blackstone Fortress · Boxed Games · Warhammer 40000

[Blackstone Fortress] Ur’ghuls & Spindle Drones

I finished my first batches of Blackstone Fortress models starting with Ur’ghuls.  I’m pretty sure these are the first new Drukhari-related minis that have come out in years, and they just so happen to be in a release that has nothing to do with the Dark Eldar.  They’re also not generally considered a competitive addition for any army builds, but y’know?  It’s nice when releases like this include things that overlap with your existing armies.

IMG_1395

I hate to admit it, but my mentality has kind of been getting the “chaff” out of the way so I can really take my time and enjoy painting The Explorers and Chaos Marines.  In years prior when I had more time, I would’ve probably tried to give each set of models my undivided attention, but now I just have to settle for “good enough” to keep things moving.

That said, these did come out looking good enough, and because they don’t have all sorts of extra details like the armor, capes, lasguns, grenades, bottles, etc. on Traitor Guardsmen, they went by really fast.  I should probably take note of the exact paints I use from now on for the sake of this blog, but it wasn’t too dissimilar from what’s on the back of the Blackstone Fortress manual:

  • Basecoat of Stegadon Scale Green
  • Layer of Dark Reaper
  • Start picking out raised areas of muscle with Thunderhawk Blue
  • Pick out raised areas like the ribs, fingers, kneecaps and prominent muscles with a highlight of Fenrisian Grey
  • Selective edge highlight of Ulthuan Grey to add more depth to the Fenrisian Grey.
  • Wash of Druchii Violet on the hands from the fingertips up until somewhere below the elbow.

IMG_1390

Next were the Spindle Drones.  The biggest challenge would be finding a quick and efficient way of achieving that bluish-grey metallic look on the carapace while still keeping it presentable.  Outside of terrain and sometimes metallics, I don’t really make use of drybrushing, but it was perfect for what I was trying to do here.  So for the carapace I went:

  • Basecoat of Stegadon Scale Green
  • Layer of Russ Grey
  • All over wash of Coelia Greenshade
  • Heavy drybrush of Russ Grey focusing more towards the top to create a transition of colors.
  • Light, but still liberal drybrush of Ulthuan Grey to pick out the details and simulate light reflecting off the carapace.
  • Edge highlight of Ulthuan Grey across all the panels and edges.

If you’ve ever handled this model, you know how fragile the legs connecting to the slot feels, so when you’re drybrushing, make sure you’re holding the model from just behind the “neck”, or the section above the legs but below the carapace.

The lenses I’m actually not satisfied with, so I’ll probably go back and touch that up a bit, but they are basecoated with Screamer Pink then Pink Horror in the center to simulate a focused light.

To achieve a glow, which can be used as an effect on anything from eyes to plasma guns, you start with Lahmian Medium, and mix about 5:1 to 4:1 with the relevant color.  In this case I used Screamer Pink, though maybe a lighter pink would’ve worked better.  Regardless, you really want to dilute it to the point where there’s very little change in color when you apply the Lahmian Medium mix to the mini, and continue to build on until you feel happy with the intensity of the color.  It’s easier to add color than it is to take it away.

Next up from the Blackstone Fortress and incidentally what’s actually on my table right now: Traitor Guard.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s