Work continues on Blackstone Fortress despite a lack of blog entries. After finishing the Traitor Guard, I decided I wanted to start working on some of the more unique models found in this set, starting with the Chaos Beastmen. These actually weren’t too bad, as a lot of the colors combinations I just lifted from my Traitor Guardsmen, and if there’s one thing that slows my painting down to a crawl it’s trying to figure out color schemes on the fly. Indecision is really one of the banes of my hobby life.
Much like the official paint schemes I made heavy use of blacks and greys with spots of red and earthy colors to break things up. The only thing that really took a bit of experimenting on was the flesh. …And somewhere in Commorragh a Haemonculus just cackled. Anyway, what I settled on was this:
- Basecoat of Rakarth Flesh
- Wash of Reikland Fleshshade
- Layer in slightly thinned Rakarth Flesh leaving the wash in the recesses alone.
- Build up the previous layer with Flayed One Flesh thinned down with Lahmian Medium.*
- Mix Flayed One Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh 1:1 and highlight the contours of muscles, fingers, raised areas of the face, etc.
- Fine highlight of Pallid Wych Flesh on the most prominently raised areas like the tips of the ears, just above the eyebrows, knuckles, etc.
As a quick note (*), I found the transition from Rakarth Flesh from Flayed One Flesh to be more harsh and unnatural looking than usual, so thinning the paint down with some kind of medium to build up this layer is important. Regular water doesn’t really thin the paint down in a way that gives us the result we want.
And a WIP image with the first test model front and center. One of these days I’m really going to have to figure out how to take better pictures, since as this blog has gone on I’ve noticed how inconsistent the lighting can be.
Finally, as you might have noticed, the bases on the finished models look a bit different. I initially went with a very basic, shades of grey color scheme with splotches of Gryphonne Sepia to add a bit of flavor. And those look fine when you add a bit of flock to them — it’s basically how I do a lot of my Craftworld Eldar bases, except maybe I went a little too heavy on the white with these. Anyway, they don’t look right on these models and it’s been bugging me since I started painting them.
Luckily I stumbled across this tutorial on How to Paint Shyish Themed Bases on YouTube by Xenus Minis. The change is small, but made enough of a difference I felt compelled to go back and redo all of the bases on my Blackstone Fortress models. You start with Mechanicus Standard Grey as usual, but when you shade with Nuln Oil, you use patches of Nighthaunt Gloom as well to create an eerie, otherworldly glow. A small detail, but very fitting for the setting.
Where I deviated from the video was going heavier on the Nighthaunt Gloom, and instead of drybrushing with Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh, I used Dawnstone and Administratum Grey. Rocks were painted with Dawnstone, given a wash of Coelia Greenshade, then drybrushed much like everything else. I also used Ulthuan Grey to pick out edges on rocks to make them really stand out, and sparingly in patches on the ground just to add some variation. Above, you can see the test base on the left, and a after a bit of practice, where I kinda settled, on the base of my WIP Kroot Tracker.
That’s it for now. Negavolt Cultists and the Rogue Psykers are next.