“The soul stones will be ours. Then you shall have your revenge.”
When it comes to the larger Eldar models, War Walkers admittedly rank somewhere at the bottom for me as far as looks, but 24 S6 shots at 36″ was scary enough at the time for me to justify putting together a squadron. While they keep that curvy Eldar aesthetic, unlike the similarly bipedal Wraithlords, they look like a stiff breeze from the side could potentially topple them over. Can you imagine the poor Guardian trying to flip one of these back upright in the middle of a battle? Granted, this being the Eldar, there’s probably some heretical xenos tech that allows them to not only stay on their feet, but do somersaults and backflips as they fade back into the Webway.
It didn’t help that assembling them was just not fun. I don’t know if the batch of Citadel plastic glue I was using at the time was somehow defective (can that even happen?), but I had trouble putting together the cockpit on one, and the foot on another is no longer attached to the base. Some of the ankle joints were really finicky too. Real weird for glue which is supposed to fuse plastic together. Incidentally a squad of Guardians I put together with that same bottle of glue would have pieces fall off real easy over time. I’ve since moved on to using Armskeeper Maxi-Cure glue for plastics and haven’t looked back since. It’s also about half the price and doesn’t smell as strong. Incidentally, these were also some of the first models I tried magnetizing.
As you can see from these pictures, my old approach of using Alaitoc Blue as a base and layering on Hoeth Blue looked especially bad on the War Walkers and gave them more of an unintended pastel tone, especially after a matte varnish. I didn’t get around to finishing the gems at this stage since those get hit with a gloss varnish and get saved for last anyway. Still, you get a good idea of how they looked before repainting.
I tried to break up the Sotek Green with bronze metallics and black wherever I thought I could fit them. I’m still not 100% happy with the result, but they are at least a little sharper after the repaint. Also, using a bit of a thinned down Drakenhoff Nightshade around the bases of each gem helps make them stand out a bit more which is something I didn’t do with the original paint job.
I kinda wish I could go back and redo the black bits, since using shades of blue for highlights gives them a much cleaner look as is befitting Craftworld models that aren’t heavily weathered. Varnishing them again would be a pain though since you’d risk fogging up the shield; a mistake I’ve made in the past despite my best attempts to wrap that section up in foil. This should be fairly obvious, but the black sections above were done as follows:
- Base of Abaddon Black
- Highlight of Mechanicus Standard Grey
- Fine Highlight of Dawnstone
However, more recently I came across a method of painting black in the back of the Blackstone Fortress manual that’s used prominently on enemies wearing black armor:
- Base of Abaddon Black
- Highlight of Incubi Darkness
- Fine Highlight of Thunderhawk Blue
- Edge highlight of Fenrisian Grey
It helps that I’ve greatly expanded my collection of paints as the years went by because Incubi Darkness and Thunderhawk Blue aren’t what I consider essential colors for any of my prior projects. Sometimes it’s really just what you’ve got on hand that can dictate the direction your paint schemes go.